July 29, 2016
We’ve all seen the “dog shaming” photos on social media, showcasing the destruction caused by our loving canines who tore apart their precious toys. Do you ever leave your house only to come back later to a disaster, with your dog sitting idly by as if nothing happened? How about giving your dog toys, and they tear them apart in seconds?
It’s no secret that dogs love their toys, but even so they manage to destroy them. But the behavior is perfectly natural, since your dogs don’t really see toys as toys. For your pup, a brand new, perfectly intact toy is nothing other than a vessel for their primal instincts!
So here are 5 reasons your K9 counterparts love to destroy their toys:
1. Boredom: For one, boredom! Dogs get bored, and when they do, they need to entertain themselves, and sometimes, it’s not in a way that you’ll appreciate.
2. We Trained Them To: Another reason is we taught them to destroy things. When you get a puppy, the way they aggressively go after their toys is adorable to us, so without knowing it, we tend to encourage it, and this leads to them to continue on the path to destruction.
3. They Get The Toy Whenever They Want: A dog that can get at his toys all of the time will eventually tear them apart. I mean, what do you really expect? It should instead be a reward rather than something enjoyable that they just get to have because they’re the best and we love them.
4. Lack of Mental and Physical Stimulation: Similar to boredom, if play time isn’t interactive enough or doesn’t burn enough energy. You need to have toys for your dog that make them use their mind, they like to think, and they suffer when you don’t stimulate their brain. Similar to this, if you’re not exercising them, they’re going to find something to get rid of that extra energy.
5. You Have A Heavy Chewer: Don’t be fooled by your dog’s size, even if they’re little, they can still chew with the best of them. A Chihuahua isn’t necessarily going to be happy with a plush, he might need a hard strong toy too! Get toys that work with your dog’s personality, and give them toys that work with their chew style.
No matter what causes you dog to chew so aggressively, here at Petland we have all the replacement toys you can possibly imagine! Whether your dog prefers plush or rubber or rope we have what you need to occupy your pooch so they don’t start looking for the next best thing to their toys, which might include a very expensive shoe or piece of furniture. It is also a good idea to have plenty of toys in rotation, so they’re not so available to your dog and seem new when you hand them over. Sop by the store today and we can help you find the perfect toy (or toys!) for your pet today!
Not seeing what you are looking for? Fill out the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.